If you read my Mini Egg Cookies post then you’ll know I have a habit of binge buying seasonal candy. Creme Eggs won’t be around forever, and I must confess all of the questions around the new recipe had me curious. I mean, it’s still milk chocolate with a sweet filling, right?
So I marched down to a corner convenience store over my lunch break and bought 12 Creme Eggs to try. Excitedly, I took my first taste of the new recipe and was kind of disappointed. I remember the old ones being more gooey with a caramel filling, not a fondant one. But candy is candy; and when you have 10 (2 eaten) of something decent, turn it into something great!
Crunchy, sweet and salty, Creme Egg coated popcorn was the natural fit to my overzealous buying of Creme Eggs. It has a strong chocolate flavour, with undertones of salted caramel – a combination your taste buds will thank you for.
- 1/4 cup unpopped kernels
- 5 Cadbury Creme Eggs
- 2 tbsp butter (salted or unsalted – depending on your preference for salty snacks)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Big mixing bowl
- Smaller microwave safe bowl
- Air popcorn popper
- Wooden spoon
- One – Preheat your convection oven to 250 F (275 F in a non-convection oven).
- Two – Pop the popcorn kernels in your air popper in a large bowl and put aside.
- Three – Put your creme eggs and butter into a microwave safe bowl and heat on medium for 1:30 – 2:30 min, stirring every 20 seconds, until Creme Eggs are melted and able to pour. You know your microwave best and it’s very important that you watch the mix to ensure your chocolate is not burning.
- Four – Combine your melted Creme Egg and butter mixture with your popcorn, carefully stirring and trying not to crush the popcorn.
- Five – Lay the popcorn out on a baking pan, sprinkle evenly with salt and place it in the oven for 15-18 minutes until the Creme Egg coating is hard.
- Six – Let the popcorn cool for 15 minutes.
- No air popper? Find a plain or reduced butter microwaveable popcorn.
- Cut up additional Creme Eggs and combine with the popcorn once it has cooled for more Creme Egg flavor.