I know what you’re thinking – chocolate and tofu don’t belong together, and in what world would they come together to create a pudding?
This world, my friends, this world.
The tofu most people are familiar with is chewy, savoury and often paired with noodles or rice. The type of tofu we use in this recipe is called Silken tofu (Japanese style tofu), and unlike its common chewy version, Silken tofu is smooth, delicate and soft.
The best part: tofu is low fat, filled with protein and high in calcium. It takes on the flavour of the ingredients around it while providing health benefits and keeping dishes low in calories. Combining it with chocolate creates a rich and delicious treat with more health benefits than regular, tofu-free pudding and far less calories.
- 3/4 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips, melted*
- 12 oz Silken Tofu
- 1.5 tsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp milk of your choice (I used almond milk)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp icing sugar (or sugar substitute)
- Microwave safe bowl
- One – Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave until smooth. Be sure to mix the chocolate chips every 20 seconds to prevent burning.
- Two – Put all ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth.
- Three – Refrigerate 2 hours until cold and serve.
- Make this healthier by choosing sugar free chocolate chips.
- Cut up banana into sticks and dip into the pudding for a sweet snack.