If you’re like me, mornings can be hectic and often involve dry shampoo, ponytails and running out the door to make the next train. Making or buying breakfast can add 10, 15 or more minutes onto an already packed day, and either end up making you late or taking away from precious sleep time.
Like Chocolate Raspberry Chia Seed Pudding, Banana and Brown Sugar Overnight Oats can be made the night before in less than 5 minutes and can easily be stored in a container and brought to school or work.
Banana and Brown Sugar Overnight Oats are just sweet enough, natural, healthy and will help you start your day with a boost of energy. Oats come with a ton of health benefits including boosting your immune system, stabilizing blood sugar and helping to increase your appetite-controlling hormones (keeping you fuller longer!).
- 1/2 cup oats of your choice (I used 1/4 cup steel cut oats and 1/4 cup large quick oats)
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice (I used unsweeted vanilla almond milk)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or brown sugar substitute
- 1/8 tsp vanilla
- 1 sliced banana
- a handful of dried fruit or granola (optional)
- One – Put oats, milk, brown sugar and vanilla into jar or container.
- Two – Slice and add banana.
- Three – Stir or ensure a tight seal and shake to combine ingredients.
- Four – Let sit for three hours or overnight then add dried fruit or granola and enjoy!
- If you find your bananas get too mushy, add them just before eating or leaving the house.
- Don’t have much of a sweet tooth? Reduce the sugar or add the bananas before eating. When the bananas soak in the oat and milk mixture, they naturally give off some sugar which makes everything a little sweeter.
- Use a mix of oats to have a variety of texture and benefits or if you prefer stick to just one.
- Add a dash of cinnamon for some adventure 😉