Who says that sugar cookies are reserved for cookie cutters and Christmas icing?
It was 31 degrees (celsius) today and for someone who lives substantially above the equator, that’s really hot. Despite people dreaming of ice cream and air conditioning, I found myself heating up the oven and thinking of sugar cookies. Of course, icing cookies in this weather is a very challenging task so a summer spin on a classic was absolutely necessary. I bypassed the icing and brought in the sprinkles for a bright and light summer twist on the Christmas hit.
These summer style sugar cookies are light and fun with a colourful hit of sprinkles that will make you skip the icing and reach for seconds. This version is light on the sugar and focuses on the flour-sweet taste of sugar cookies that you love.
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
- One – Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare cookie sheet by lining with parchment paper.
- Two – Stir together flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Three – In a separate large bowl or stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar, then add in eggs and vanilla.
- Four – Slowly add in flour mixture until just blended.
- Five – Using a tablespoon, scoop dough and roll into a ball with your hands then flatten lightly and drop on cookie sheet.
- Six – Bake 9-10 minutes and enjoy!
- Is it as hot for you as it is for me right now? I took my butter out of the fridge and let it warm up for about 5 minutes on the patio. It was the perfect soft consistency that is needed for cookies.
- Freeze these bad boys for up to 2 months and enjoy whenever you have a summer sugar cookie craving.
- Mix up the colors of the sprinkles for special events!